Winding up their final arguments on Thursday, prosecutors said the 83-year-old, lying on a stretcher in the defendants’ iron cage, bore full responsibility for the killings and should be executed for giving shoot-to-kill orders during anti-government protests.
Prosecutor Mustafa Khater made a passionate plea to the court demanding the death penalty for Mubarak, former Interior Minister Habib al-Adli and four of the police commanders.
They are charged with complicity in the killings of over 800 pro-democracy protesters during the 18-day anti-regime protests that forced Egypt’s strongman to quit on February 11, 2011.
“The law punishes premeditated murder with execution. The prosecution demands the maximum punishment,” Khater, one of five prosecutors in the case, told the court.
“Retribution is the solution. Any fair judge must issue a death sentence for these defendants,” he pleaded.
He said the nation expects the truth, which all people are equal before the law, and that Egyptian blood is no longer cheap.
Khater’s appeal came on the final day of court sessions–which began on Tuesday–in which the prosecution presented its case, following months of testimony by witnesses.
Earlier in Thursday’s session, chief prosecutor Mustafa Suleiman argued that Mubarak was “politically and legally” responsible for the killing of the protesters.
He stated that Mubarak was aware from meetings with members of his inner circle, regional TV channels and reports by his security agencies that the killing of protesters was taking place but did not order to stop it.
Mubarak is the first Arab leader to stand trial in person since popular uprisings began in the Middle East and North Africa over a year ago.