The organizers of the race said on Thursday they will not go ahead with plans to stage the event in late October, AFP reported.

“Whilst Bahrain would have been delighted to see the Grand Prix progress on October 30th in line with the World Motor Sport Council’s decision, it has been made clear that this fixture cannot progress and we fully respect that decision,” Bahrain International Circuit Chairman Zayed Al Zayani said in a statement.

Bahrain was originally scheduled to host the season-opening race on March 13, but the event was postponed in February following the eruption of anti-government protests in the Persian Gulf island nation.

Earlier, Al Zayani had claimed that the postponement was not due to the political turmoil, but he admitted to having “some staff issue.”

The Bahraini regime has sacked at least a quarter of staff from the Grand Prix’s organizing committee, accusing them of taking part in anti-government demonstrations.

Rights groups say the decision to allow Bahrain to hold such an event damages the push for human rights in the country and severely harms the Formula One’s reputation.

Since mid-February, thousands of anti-government demonstrators in Bahrain have staged protests in the streets, calling for an end to Al Khalifa rule, a dynasty that has reigned for almost 40 years.

On March 13, Saudi-led forces were dispatched to the Persian Gulf kingdom upon Manama’s request to quell the countrywide protests.

According to local sources, scores of people have been killed and hundreds arrested so far during the government clampdown on peaceful demonstrations.

Meanwhile, Bahraini security forces have reportedly kidnapped many doctors, university professors, students and activists.

Protesters say they will continue their street demonstrations until their demands for freedom, constitutional monarchy as well as a proportional voice in the government are met.

کلیدواژه ها :

این خبر را به اشتراک بگذارید :